Yes, it is possible to use your time to do other things besides job searching. Just because you are unemployed, that doesn’t mean your time is any less valuable than your money.
Unemployment can be time for bonding and to further develop your mind, body, spirit, and become better and well- rounded person.
Along with your job search, there are other ways to make the most of your unemployment.
1. SPEND MORE TIME WITH THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE.
To avoid stressing about you don’t have and how you’re going to get it, spend time with who is right there with you. Being unemployed allows you to have more energy and time to spend it with your loved ones and create more moments and memories that money can’t buy. If you live alone, spend time taking care of yourself. I mean, you love you too. Right?
2. FIND FREE EVENTS IN YOUR AREA.
You can spend time with the ones you love or by yourself and don’t have to spend a dime. You can subscribe to get updates from local recreation centers, museums, skating rinks, shopping malls, food trucks, even local art and fashion colleges via email or on Facebook.
3. LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE FOR FREE.
Expand your mind by learning a new language or two with free apps like Duolingo.
You can also find a friend who is bilingual or multi-lingual who is willing to help you learn a new language.
There is a complete immersion into the language of your choice. You can change your phone settings, computer settings, or Facebook settings to in all in Spanish, French, or whatever. It will make you have to figure out what is being said.
**Note: It helps to know the language just a little bit before doing a complete immersion. Or you will become frustrated very quickly.
4. USE COUPON AND REBATE APPS TO SAVE & EARN MONEY.
There are a handful of awesome apps and sites that will help you save and earn hundreds of dollars on your groceries, clothing, and other in-store or online purchases. And you get paid with REAL MONEY!!!
For rebates on groceries and other miscellaneous purchases:
- Ibotta. The best app, by far to earn cash back on groceries, clothes, electronics, and even alcoholic beverages.
- Saving Star.
- Checkout 51.
- Receipt Hog. Use this code when you sign up. vift4435
For online purchases: On local and faraway deals.
- Ebates. This site has a large list of popular online retailers like Target, Walmart, and even Groupon.
- Groupon. You can get great deals on local restaurants, travel, and lodging, local events, etc. And don’t forget to go through Ebates to get a rebate on already awesome deals! Talk about getting a rebate at a discount. Double WINNING tho!
- Restaurant.com. This site is the best for local restaurant deals!
*Tip: For more ways to save money on food and groceries. Try making a list of your favorite companies and search for their coupons online. If you can not find coupons, email these companies, telling them how much you love their products, if they have any coupons to mail to you, and ask how often you are allowed to ask for them. Keep a notebook of which companies you’ve contacted and their responses.
5. IF YOU ARE THE SPIRITUAL TYPE… IF NOT, SCROLL ON TO #6.
Related: 10 Ways I Relieved My Symptoms of Depression.