Prompt: Write a letter to someone who has hurt you.
I honestly couldn’t choose who to write this letter to because I realized that it applies to everyone that has hurt me, including myself.
Dear Everyone and Me,
I honestly don’t believe that your goal was to hurt me but you did. It hurt me in a way that seems like this is something that you are used to doing to me and maybe to others. But your lack of accountability for your actions makes you childish with your ways. You fumble over your excuses like a two-year-old trying to lie.
Yet, when you say what you say and do what you do, you look dead behind the eyes. It’s like you aren’t really there. Your body is moving, your mouth is moving, but no real life exists behind those eyes. It’s like you’re programmed. Your habits are smooth yet robotic and I can’t tell if you are human. Maybe, it’s the hurt child working the gear-shift and I can’t see you behind your eyes, I have to look in your heart.
All I know is that you have hurt me repeatedly as if that’s all you knew how to do.
Well, allow me to debunk those myths you tried to force-feed me.
- I’m not fat.
- I’m not ugly.
- I’m not stupid, an idiot, or a loser.
- I’m not a brat. I was hurting because my mom was an addict and you knew it.
- I’m not lazy. I never have been.
- I like being dark-skinned. It looks good on me!
- I am someone worth dying for. Don’t think so? Ask Christ.
- I’m not obligated to think like you.
- I’m not obligated to look how you want me to look.
- I’m not obligated to believe like you. I am my OWN woman. (I say this to men and women.)
- I think I’m pretty. YOU don’t have to. I don’t need you to.
- I am more than what your brain can imagine and there is nothing you can do to stop me and what God has for me.
- I am a great wife.
- I am a great mother.
- I was a great daughter.
- My mom’s death wasn’t my fault.
- You should have been there to help me take care of mommy!
- I’m mad I used to chase you. Friends don’t have to chase each other down. We were supposed to be there for each other.
- I may be boring but my life lacks your drama.
- I may be fat, but I’m still cute!
- I may be fat my whole life, but it’s God who will keep me the whole way. Watch!
Talk to you later!